Measuring the Effect of Enterprise Architecture
posted Nov 28, 2011, 1:25 AM by Alar Raabe
Some things that can be measured for estimating/following the success of enterprise architecture activities:
- Overall trends in enterprise, for which EA should correspond:
- Response time trend for business changes EA has been successful, if the organization has become more agile.
- Efficiency trend for business operations EA has been successful, if the organization has become more efficient.
- Reliability trend of business operations and development EA has been successful, if the amount of failures (both in operation and development) has been reduced.
- Special measures for EA value:
- Maintenance of big-picture and reuse of EA information the ratio of questions related to strategic decisions that can be answered, based on collected and maintained EA information, to the amount of questions that require a special one-time effort (study or project).
- Alignment of activities to business goals (the ratio of projects/solutions that are connected to the business goals, to the total number of projects/solutions).
- The degree of standardization in business the ratio of different "ways of working" to the overall number of business functions.
- The degree of standardization is IT ratio of different used IT technologies to the overall number of IT systems.
- The degree of complexity in IT ratio of supported business functions to the overall number of IT systems.
- The impression of stakeholders, how good/clear is the target ("TO-BE") picture rating according to some subjective scale.
- The impression of stakeholders, how well complexity is handled rating according to some subjective scale.
- Measures for strength of EA function:
- Strength of architecture governance ratio of projects/solutions evaluated by architecture board, to the total number of projects/solutions.
- Conformance to the architectural principles ratio of projects/solutions following the architectural principles to the total number of projects/solutions.
- How well the architecture is followed ratio of architectural exceptions to the projects/solutions evaluated by architecture board.